Grace O'Malley's Irish Pub

Monday, February 27, 2006

A family link to Titanic

You may ask "Why an Irish Pub?" One reason is my family's Irish roots.
At right is a picture of my great (step) grandmother Bertha Noon. She boarded the Titanic at Queenstown, Ireland (now known as Cobh just outside Cork). Although she was sailing third class, she did survive the sinking. The story I've always been told is that she was one of the last passengers off the ship. Apparently she was urged by a clergyman on the deck to jump over the side into a life boat that was already being lowered into the Atlantic, which she did. She landed hard on her back and suffered serious pain for the rest of her life. She was returning to Rhode Island after visiting family in Ireland. (Incidentally, she sailed to Ireland on the Lusitania.)

I've seen the Titanic exhibit twice now, once when it was originally shown in London and again in Memphis. Both times I was able to find her name on the passenger list. I have also seen her name listed on display at the Cobh Heritage Center about 200 yards from the dock passengers disembarked from. Though now derelict and unusable, it is still standing. Because she sailed before she was married, she is listed in both places as Bertha Mulvihill.

The History Channel is showing a program called "Titanic's Final Moments" on Sunday, February 26. If you miss the program, there is also information on their website - I've posted a link in the Links section of this blog.

For more information on Bertha Mulvihill:
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0119483/bertha.htm http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/1052/

For information on Titanic places in Cobh:
http://www.titanic-trail.com/index.htm
http://www.cobhheritage.com/

Special Thanks to my father who confirmed some of this information and found additional links.

1 Comments:

  • Very Cool! I was told you enjoyed getting the book I left for you at Christmas. Hope it helps it seemed real very indepth. I also have other books that along those same lines both fiction and nonfiction.

    By Blogger tnbonairediver, at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home